CSS

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Oatmeal raisin cookies are my husband's favorite. I prefer chocolate chip, but when he's nice I make these for him. :-) I found this recipe last year, in a cookbook called "Blue ribbon recipes: 693 award-winners from America's state and county fairs". I thought it looked interesting because you soak the raisins in the eggs for an hour. This makes the raisins very moist and plumps them up a little. We also like the sugar coating on the cookies.
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups oats
1 cup nuts (optional)

1. Combine eggs, raisins, and vanilla in a bowl. Let stand 1 hour.
2. In a large bowl cream shortening, brown sugar, and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon; add gradually to creamed mixture until well combined. Add egg mixture and stir to blend. Fold in oats and nuts, if using, to make a stiff dough.
4. Roll dough into 1in.-1 1/2in. balls. Roll in sugar to coat. Place 2in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 3-4 doz.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I made these but needed to add a couple tablespoons of milk to the batter. I think I forgot about the raisins soaking in the egg mixture for too long and it absorbed too much moisture.