We have had unseasonably cold and wet weather which calls for lots of soup. This baked potato was one of those soups.
2 3/4 pounds russet potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsps chicken bouillon granules
4 cups milk
2 cups half and half
1/2 sour cream plus more for topping
Salt and pepper to taste
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
1. Peel and quarter potatoes and place them in a large pot. Cover potatoes with water, just until the tops are covered. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Boil until potatoes are tender. Test with a fork. Drain water, When potatoes are cool enough to handle. Chop them into bite-sized pieces. Set half aside. Then using a potato masher, mash the other half. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt butter then add onion. Saute until soft about 3 minutes.
3. Add flour, salt and bouillon, and whisk for 1 minute.
4. Gradually add milk, whisking as you pour, then gradually add half and half. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Stir in sour cream.
5. Add mashed potatoes. For a creamier texture blend with immersion blender. Then add chopped potatoes. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
6. When ready to serve top with sour cream, bacon, cheese, and green onion if desired.
Makes 8 servings.