CSS

Monday, March 9, 2015

French Toast Sticks

Yum! These are so good! Perfect for kids, or a breakfast/brunch. They make for a pretty presentation. I came up with this version of french toast based on my Orange French Toast recipe. I made these for a baby shower and I wanted to do them ahead of time, so I prepared them 2 days in advance. I froze them, and then baked them straight from the freezer just before serving. They turned out great! No soggy french toast with this method! I found some day old sliced brioche bread at a nearby bakery outlet and knew it would be awesome as french toast. It didn't disappoint! I served them in 2oz disposable shot glasses (that I bought at Party City) with a squirt of syrup at the bottom. So cute!

French Toast Sticks
3 eggs
1 cup milk
2 TBSPs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
dash of salt
8-10 slices bread (thick Texas Style or a bakery bread like Brioche)
1/3 cup butter, or margarine, melted

1. Slice bread into sticks about 1 inch wide. See pic below.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Dip each stick of bread in the egg mixture; place on greased cookie sheet. Cover lightly with foil, and then freeze for 1-2 hours or until completely frozen. To store, remove from freezer and place in freezer bag. Return to freezer.
3. To serve, heat the oven to 425° F. Remove the desired number of sticks from the freezer. Brush one side of each stick with melted butter. Place butter-side down on an ungreased cookie sheet; bake for 8-10 minutes, until bottom side just starts to turn golden. Brush top with butter then turn. Bake an additional 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve warm with syrup. Makes about 40 sticks

If you don't want to freeze and bake them, just cook them on the stove top in a greased frying pan after dipping until golden on each side.



I got 5 sticks from this brioche bread, but a regular sized slice will give you 4.

Love this bread too. I buy this from Winco.

Egg Mixture

No comments: