CSS

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Orange French Toast

Breakfast can be quite a hassle when you are cooking things like bacon, eggs, and pancakes, all on the stove top at the same time. I like having one thing that I can do in the oven. This french toast can be made ahead of time and cooks in the oven, which I love, because sometimes I'm left standing at the stove cooking the last few pieces while everyone else starts eating without me. You could also just cook it on the stove top if you wanted. I used Simply Orange orange juice for a fresh orange flavor. My boys could not stop raving about this.

Orange French Toast
Lion House Entertaining
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
2 TBSPs sugar
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
dash of salt
8 slices Texas-style bread
1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted

1. Grease cookie sheet. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Add the milk, orange juice, sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Beat well. Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture; place on greased cookie sheet. Cover lightly with foil, and then freeze for 1-2 hours or until completely frozen. (I just place mine on sheets of foil in the freezer, and then cover them again with foil). To store, remove from freezer and stack slices of bread in freezer bag, placing wax paper between slices. Return to freezer.
2. To serve, heat the oven to 425° F. Remove the desired number of slices from the freezer. Brush one side of each slice with melted margarine. Place margarine-side down on an ungreased cookie sheet; bake for 10 minutes. Brush top with margarine, then turn. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown.

Makes 8 slices

(If you don't want to freeze it and bake it, just cook it on the stove top in a greased frying pan after dipping).

6 comments:

Kristy said...

this looks super tasty! I love your recipes.

Christine said...

Thanks, Kristy!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing!! What did you put on it for syrup?? Did you just use powdered sugar?

Amber Leigh said...

Hi I found your recipie on pinterest and made this for dinner last night. It was great my 2 year old son would clap his hands after each bite he took. I did use 1TBSP of sugar instead of the 2 that it calls for just seemed like a lot of sugar to me.
Thank you for sharing we will be making this one again and again.

Aly said...

I make orange pancakes and serve them with an orange sauce you might want to try. Beat 1 c. sugar with 3 eggs until light and pale in color. Stir in 1/4 c. Orange juice (I like fresh Mandarin or Tangarine) 1 tea orange rind, 1/8 tea salt, 2 tab melted butter. Place in a saucepan and heat until simmering and thickened. Remove from the heat and cool. Whip 1/2 c. heavy cream and stir into the sauce. If serving adults I also add a splash (or two) of Grand Marnier.

Christine said...

Sounds amazing! Thanks for the ideas!