CSS

Monday, March 30, 2015

Carrot Pineapple Coconut Muffins

Don't set carrots out for the Easter Bunny! He would MUCH rather have these carrot muffins! I don't create many of my own recipes, but this one is mine. :) It is my muffin version of carrot cake. They are not overly sweet, but my kids love them and I feel good about serving them as a snack. You can leave out the coconut if you prefer it without. My husband doesn't like coconut, but he wants me to add raisins next time, so I'll probably give it a try with those. I also made a few mini muffins with this batter, and they worked well too.

Carrot Pineapple Coconut Muffins
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes (optional)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup grated carrots, loosely packed

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tins or line with paper muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and coconut.
3. In a medium bowl, add the butter, egg, vanilla, buttermilk, pineapple, and carrots. Stir to combine.
4. Pour carrot mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just until everything is blended.
5. Using a large scoop (about 1/4 cup), scoop batter into the prepared muffin tin.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.

Makes about 18 muffins.

For mini muffins bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.



No comments: