CSS

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Beef Mechado

My neighbor Nikki and I like to trade food back and forth. It's really fun because I get to try things I don't normally make. She brought me some of this stew a couple months ago and we loved it, so I asked her for the recipe. It's a Philippine style beef stew with a tomato base. When I make stew I use a beef gravy base (which I realize now that I haven't posted a recipe for) so I really like this different recipe, especially the olives. This picture is actually of my leftovers, so there isn't much liquid because it had absorbed. You can see the finished stew in the picture at the bottom.

Beef Mechado
adapted from Nikki Lee's recipe
1 lb beef stew meat or any tender beef meat
3/4 cup onion, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups frozen crinkle cut carrots
1 can whole black olives
4 cups potatoes, cubed

Place first 5 ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer on low for an hour to an hour and a half until meat is tender. Add veggies and let simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.



No comments: