These are the last of the cupcakes I made recently for a baby shower. I thought Chocolate Malt would go along with Pink Lemonade and Cherry Limeade since they are all drinks. :) I liked everything about these, although I am still looking for that perfect dense chocolate cupcake recipe. These are moist and fluffy like a boxed mix. There is quite a bit of malt powder in both the cupcake and the frosting, but it's not an overpowering flavor. Unless you know it's a malt cupcake you might not even be able to taste it. They were yummy.
adapted from thatwinsomegirl.blogspot.com
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups malted milk powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until powder is dissolved.
4. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add sour cream and vanilla, and beat just until combined.
5. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each halfway. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting.
Makes approximately 30 cupcakes
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
1/2 cup malted milk powder
4 TBSPs unsweetened cocoa powder
5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Chocolate covered malt balls to garnish (optional)
1. In a large mixer bowl, whip the butter and shorting for several minutes until very light and fluffy. Sprinkle in malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whip for 1 minute.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar a few spoonful at a time, letting it incorporate until the frosting becomes thick and stiff.
3. Fill bag with the frosting and pipe large swirls on top of cupcakes. Top with candies to garnish.