This is a cookie recipe that I remember my mom making when I was a kid. I recently rediscovered it while going through a recipe box. It's a simple cookie made extra tasty with the addition of rum extract. If you don't have the rum extract though, you can just add a little more vanilla.
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp rum extract
2 tsps water
2 1oz squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup oats
1/2 cup pecans (optional)
Extra sugar for tops of cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line cookie sheets.
2. Combine shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla, rum extract, and water; mix well.
3. Add melted chocolate and mix until combined.
4. In a separate bowl add flour, salt, and baking soda, oats, and nuts (if using); whisk to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture. Mix until just combined.
5. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet about 2 in. apart. Dip a glass in sugar and flatten the tops of the dough balls slightly.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then remove to cooling rack.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies