This is a recipe from ourbestbites.com that I use to make sandwiches for one dinner and taquitos on another night. Two for one! You cook the beef in the crock pot with a jar of pepperoncinis which gives it a very different and slightly spicy flavor.
adapted from ourbestbites.com
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 TBSPs of olive or cooking oil
3 lb. beef roast, trimmed of excess fat
4-5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 16-oz. jar sliced pepperoncinis, undrained
1. Heat oil in a pot or high-sided skillet over high heat. While the oil is heating, combine the salt and pepper and rub it into the meat. Add more if necessary.
2. When the oil is hot, sear the roast on all sides so the outsides of it is browned and a little crispy.
3. Transfer the roast to a slow cooker and add the minced garlic and the entire jar of pepperoncinis.
4. If possible, cook on high until the liquid comes to a boil and then turn it to low and cook until the roast shreds easily with a fork, for a total cooking time of about 6-8 hours. If not possible, cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the beef is fork tender.
5. Drain and shred. Keep the peppers!
Crusty sandwich rolls
Sliced provolone cheese
Slice the rolls and spread lightly with mayonnaise and then top with the shredded beef. Add a slice of provolone cheese and then place under the broiler for 1-3 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Tortillas (corn or flour)
Crumbled Queso Fresco (or shredded pepper jack or monterey jack)
Sprinkle 1-2 TBSPs shredded beef on each tortilla and about 1 TBSP of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Spray tops of tortillas with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tortilla is crispy and edges are lightly browned. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole