CSS

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Easy Quiche

I like to make quiche for dinner on occasion. I usually just see what I have in my fridge, and figure out what to throw in there. I've used Swiss, Jarlsberg, Gruyere, Monterey jack, Colby jack, queso fresco, and cheddar. They all are good, though I prefer Monterey jack with a little cheddar. For the meat, I use bacon, turkey bacon, or ham, and then onions add for flavor. If you want a vegetarian quiche, you can substitute frozen spinach that has been thawed and drained. I've also added cooked broccoli, and mushrooms would work well too (we don't like them). Quiches are very versatile! I basically used the Williams-Sonoma recipe that I previously posted, and just simplified it.

Easy Quiche
1 9in. deep dish prepared crust (like Pillsbury crust, or make this Quick Pie Crust)
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled, bacon or ham pieces
1/4 cup sautéed onion or sliced green onion

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Cover crust with foil, poke a few holes in it, then press it into the pastry-lined pan. Bake the pastry for 8 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the pastry looks dry but not brown, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the oven; reduce the temperature to 325 degrees.
2. While crust is baking, in a medium bowl combine eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, cheese, bacon, and onion. Stir to combine. When the crust has finished baking, pour egg mixture into the crust.
3. Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. If the edges are browning too quickly, cover them with strips of aluminum foil. Cool 15 minutes then serve.

Note: If the crust falls it's OK. It happens sometimes. Just pour your filling in and if some spills over the side of the crust and goes underneath it will still be fine. It won't be as pretty, but it will work. Sometimes I move my oven rack to one spot below the middle, especially if I'm having crust issues, just to make sure the bottom isn't soggy.



No comments: