CSS

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cheeseburger Chowder

My husband is not a soup fan, but there are some days that just feels like soup days. Yesterday was a soup day, and I wondered how this one would fare. After tasting it, he said this was a soup he could see himself eating in his mountain lodge while sitting next to the fire (all fictional of course). This means it passed the manly test. It's hearty and not too thin. I like to substitute ground turkey to make it a little healthier sometimes.


Cheeseburger Chowder
southernfood.about.com
1 pound lean ground beef
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed, about 2 cups
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 TBSPs chopped green pepper
1 TBSP beef bouillon granules or beef base
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups milk
3 TBSPs flour
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

In a 3 to 4-quart saucepan brown beef. Drain off excess fat. Stir in cubed potatoes, chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, bouillon or base, salt, and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Blend flour with 1/2 cup of milk. Add to saucepan along with the remaining 2 cups of milk. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add cheese; heat and stir until cheese is melted.
Serves 6 to 8.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I don't think I've told you lately how much I love reading this blog, you're great!

Christine said...

:)

Lynnie said...

You ARE great, and I miss you. I miss a lot about Texas..makes me sad sometimes!!