CSS

Monday, January 10, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler

My mom bought me a cookbook for Christmas. It's called, "The Pioneer Woman Cooks". She wanted it for herself, but gave it to me. I think she wants me to try the recipes and let her know which ones are good. So, here's the first winner, Mom. I've made it twice, both with frozen fruit (since now is not the best time for berries). I put the fruit in straight from the freezer. It's so so easy and was a perfect combination with ice cream. A nice and warm winter dessert.
*Update 08/13 - This is also a fabulous summer dessert especially with berries you pick yourself! We picked some blackberries and blueberries and I made this cobbler with them...so good! If you don't have self rising flour you can substitute 1 cup of all-purpose flour plus 1-1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. I added a new pic too. :)

Patsy's Blackberry Cobbler
Pioneer Woman Cooks
1 1/4 cups plus 2 TBSPs sugar, divided
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 stick butter, melted
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (or blueberries, peaches, raspberries and so on)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 3 quart baking dish (I used a 8x12in. pan).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup of sugar with the flour and milk. Whisk in melted butter. Pour batter into baking dish and sprinkle the blackberries evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the blackberries.
3. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbly. When 10 minutes of cooking time remain, sprinkle the remaining 2 TBSPs of sugar over the top. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.




1 comment:

Leann said...

This is a good recipe. However, when I use tree-ripe peaches, which are much sweeter than blackberries, I find that sprinkling with 1/4 cup sugar makes it too sweet. I only sprinkle with 2 TBSP and then 1 TBSP for the last 10 min of baking.