Made this yummy one pot meal last week. Actually, I was a little busy when it was time to start dinner so my husband made it! He said he thinks it tasted better than normal because he made it himself and wondered if that's how I felt about my food. I told him yes. Haha. The tomatoes with the broth and cheeses make a great sauce. We used turkey sausage and Colby jack cheese, but there are lots of substitutions you could do. I added a little shredded Parmesan on mine and served it with a Caesar salad and these breadsticks. Next time I'm going to add a little pinch of red pepper flakes.
adapted from yellowblissroad.com
1 TBSP oil
½ cup diced onion
1 lb package of turkey kielbasa, sliced
1 cup chicken broth or water
20 oz. package of refrigerated tortellini
28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, cut in the can with kitchen scissors
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 TBSPs cream cheese
2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook onion until soft.
2. Add sausage and cook until browned.
3. Add chicken broth, tortellini, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
4. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is cooked to al dente.
5. Remove from heat and add cheeses. Cover and let stand for five minutes, then stir the melted cheeses until incorporated. Serve hot.