I have an 11 year old! Teen years are approaching...aaaaah! These are her birthday cupcakes. I asked her what she wanted and she couldn't come up with anything (that we agreed on), so I told her I'd just figure something out. :) I used my Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes recipe, divided the batter up and added cocoa powder and strawberry jam to make the 3 flavors. I did the same thing with the frosting, made butter cream, divided it into 3 and added the flavors. I loved how they turned out! Just FYI...my frosting recipe makes a lot because I like to heap on the frosting. :)Neapolitan Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 TBSPs cocoa powder
2 TBSPs strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk and vanilla; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
5. Divide batter into thirds. Stir cocoa powder into one of the thirds. Stir jam into another.
6. Scoop about 1 TBSP of each of the 3 flavors of batter and drop into prepared muffin cups. Using a toothpick, swirl the batter in the muffin cups.
7. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing. Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
6-7 cups powdered sugar
2 TBSPs milk
2 TBSPs cocoa powder
1 TBSP strawberry jam
1. Beat butter and shortening until light and fluffy; 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and mix until smooth.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
3. Add milk to reach desired consistency, scraping down sides of bowl.
4. Mix on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes.
5. Separate frosting evenly into 3 bowls. Add cocoa powder to one bowl and jam to another. Stir until combined.
6. Pipe onto cupcakes.