I don't use ricotta in nearly enough recipes, but there's plenty in this one. :) I'm all about easy, so I make my dough in my bread machine on the dough cycle. The filling is lots of cheese and whatever toppings you like. We use ham and pineapple, pepperoni, olives, spinach, chicken, tomatoes, things we normally like on pizza. Dip in marinara or spaghetti sauce. Add a little crushed red pepper if you are brave.
adapted from allrecipes.com
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 TBSPs white sugar
1 TBSP powdered milk
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsps instant yeast or bread machine yeast
1 15oz. container ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
Marinara sauce for dipping
1. To Make Dough: Place water, sugar, powdered milk, flour, salt, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine, in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle.
2. After cycle is completed, remove dough from pan, divide into 4 equal parts, roll into balls, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, egg, and salt. Mix well. Add desired toppings and stir until combined (I use around 1 1/2 cups total of toppings).
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into a 10 inch circle. Transfer each dough round onto lightly greased cookie sheets (I fit 2 per cookie sheet)
5. Spoon cheese mixture onto half of each dough round. Pull other half of dough up and over the filling. Seal edges with fork, or pinch closed. Cut small slits on top of calzone and brush with melted butter.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. If using two pans, rotate halfway through baking. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Makes 4 large calzones.