I found this recipe on the side of a red velvet cake box. I thought they would be the perfect Christmas cookie with their red color and all. They were very easy to make! I made one change. The original recipe called for 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of cornstarch, but I had tons leftover, so when I make these again I will use 1/2 instead. FYI, this dough is very sticky. You MUST use a scoop to handle the dough. Just like my brownie crackle recipe here, you need to drop the dough from the scoop straight into the powdered sugar mixture and carefully roll it around. If you try to make balls with your hands, you will just make a mess.
adapted from duncanhines
6 TBSPs butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
2 large eggs
1 tsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt butter; set aside to cool. Place powdered sugar and cornstarch in shallow dish. Mix with a fork to blend.
2. Place cake mix, cooled butter, eggs and lemon zest in large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well blended and a dough forms.
3. Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place on cool, ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in center of oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
5. Store in airtight container with wax paper or parchment separating layers.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies