CSS

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Brazos Baked French Toast

This is one of my favorite recipes! My mom got this recipe a few years ago from a bed and breakfast. It's great for breakfast and brunch. We sometimes even eat it for dinner! To make it extra special you can throw in a few blueberries with the cream cheese. Check out that recipe here. *Update - I have halved the butter and can't tell a difference.


Brazos Baked French Toast
1 16oz loaf french bread (day old bakery bread works great)
8 oz cream cheese
8 TBSP butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cup half and half
1/4 cup maple syrup
10 eggs
Powdered sugar

1. Cube bread and layer half in a 9x13 in. pan. Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and sprinkle evenly across the bread. Cover with remaining bread cubes.

 2. Pour melted butter evenly over the top. Mix half and half, syrup, and eggs and pour over evenly. Press down with spatula so that all the liquid is absorbed by the bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

 3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. Sift powered sugar over top. Cut into 8-12 servings. Serve with maple syrup.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super duper yummy! I make this every time I have guests because it's easy to make, you can do it the night before and it feeds lots of people. I usually half the cream cheese (but that is just my liking) and I spread the cream cheese on the french bread before cutting it up. I just find it easier that way. Definitely a must try for all!

Kristy said...

this looks so delicious! I'm going to make it on Sunday. Yummy.

Kristy said...

just made this for tomorrow morning, and cut a huge slice out of my finger slicing that french bread. But breakfast still looks tasty, so it was probably worth it.

Emily Heaps said...

Your blog is super cute! I think I'm going to use this recipe for my recipe group tomorrow that we have to use cream cheese! I love the idea of adding blue berries! I think you do a great job of taking pictures of your food too! Love it!

Patrice said...

This recipe was from the Maraposa Ranch bed and breakfast in Brenham Texas. We stayed there quite a lot and it was a really lovely place. The breakfast was great.