CSS

Monday, May 24, 2010

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I had a couple people over for dinner and served this as a side. One of the guests brought up how much they disliked boxed mac and cheese, and how it was obvious that this dish was NOT from a box. I just kept my mouth shut. It's super easy with just a few add-ins. My recipe I'm posting is a tiny bit different from the one on the Kraft website. I triple the topping (using 18 crackers instead of 6) and I use black pepper instead of cayenne. Try it and see if you can fool someone. :)
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from kraftfoods.com
1 pkg (14 oz) Kraft deluxe macaroni & cheese dinner
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp black pepper
18 Ritz crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
3 TBSP butter or margarine, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Prepare dinner as directed on package. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, sour cream and pepper.
3. Spoon into greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining Cheddar; then combined cracker crumbs and butter.
4. Bake 20 min. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
Makes 5, 1 cup servings

No comments: