CSS

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Creamy White Chili

This might seem like a lot of soup/chili recipes all at once, but I'm trying to get them all on here while it's still winter. I don't make soup very often because my husband thinks it's not a manly enough meal, but he likes this one! I got this recipe from my friend Emily about 7 years ago. I made this chili for a church activity today, even doubled the recipe, and my pot was scraped clean! 

Creamy White Chili
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
1 lime
2 cans (15.5 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ cup flour
¼ cup cold water
1 cup sour cream
½ cup heavy whipping cream

1. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, and chicken and saute until chicken is no longer pink, squirting the juice of the lime on while cooking.
2. Add the beans, broth, green chilies, and seasonings. Stir and heat through.
3. Mix flour and water together in small bowl and add to chili. Stir to thicken.
4. Just before serving add sour cream and whipping cream. Mix until combined.

Note: This chili can be made in the slow cooker. Saute the onion, garlic, and chicken like directed above, then add to the slow cooker along with beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Combine flour and water and stir into mixture in slow cooker. Cook on low 5-6 hours. Add the creams just before serving.

Serve with toppings if desired.

Toppings 

Double Batch

2 comments:

Emily said...

Great recipe. I got to try this at the Ward Party and it was really good. Payton picked out your Chili out everyones and wanted to go back for a second bowl.:)

irbuanosraL said...

mmmmm I love this stuff. My sister in law made this same recipe for Christmas Eve dinner at her house. I've made the recipe a few times now, it's a keeper!