I've made some new friends in San Antonio that have new recipes for me to try! This baked ziti was delicious! I especially loved the layer of sour cream. I like the fresh taste of parsley so I added it to the recipe. It makes a huge pan pan full, so be ready for leftovers! Another option is to assemble it in 2 8x8 pans and freeze one for later.
adapted from bmrobertsrecipes.blogspot.com
1 lb. ziti or rigitoni pasta
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ lb. ground beef (season with salt, pepper, onion powder)
½ lb. ground italian sausage
2 (26 oz.) jars spaghetti sauce
2 TBSPs fresh parsely, chopped
8 slices provolone cheese
1 ½ cups sour cream
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. In a large skillet, brown onion, garlic, ground beef and sausage over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce and parsley, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a deep 9x13in baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Layer as follows: ½ of pasta, ½ of sauce, provolone slices, sour cream, last ½ of pasta, 1 cup mozzarella, and last ½ of sauce. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until cheeses are melted.