I already have a sausage breakfast casserole recipe that I love, but this one has a few differences. It is cheaper and easier to make because it uses plain sandwich bread and less eggs, and also has a different texture. I made it for breakfast on Christmas morning. It goes great with candy canes and chocolate. :)
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
adapted from ourbestbites.com
6-8 slices white sandwich bread
About 1/4 cup softened butter (for buttering the bread slices)
4 cups grated Colby Jack cheese
16 oz pork sausage, browned and drained if necessary
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1. Remove the crusts from your bread and lightly butter one side. Place bread, butter side down, in a 9×13 baking dish. My pan takes 7 slices of bread with one cut in half (see pic below).
2. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the bread. Spread the browned sausage on top of that, and top with the green onions.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add milk and then seasonings and whisk to combine well. Slowly stir the egg mixture while you pour it evenly on top of the assembled casserole. You’ll want to keep stirring or else the spices will all gather in one spot and drop onto one single piece of casserole.
4. Cover well and place in the refrigerator overnight.
5. In the morning preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Pop the casserole in there and bake (uncovered) for 50-60 minutes. You’ll want the center to be set and the outside edges to be golden brown. It’s important to let it cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it or it will just fall apart.
*Note: Original recipe calls for a small can of green chilies which I substitute with green onions and 12oz of sausage, but I use the whole package of 16oz. Also it suggests shredding you own cheese, but I just use pre-shredded.