I LOVE the sweet potato in this soup! It adds to the heartiness and helps make this super filling. I had some at a friends house, then made it at home and decided to add the pasta and zucchini. My whole family ate it up...but someone might have picked out the tomatoes. It's hard to please everyone. :)
Sweet Potato Minestrone Soup
1 lb. ground sweet or spicy Italian Sausage (Italian turkey sausage works well too)
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
3/4 cup celery, chopped
2 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 medium sized potato)
2 (14.5 oz) cans Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup ditalini pasta (tiny tube shape)
1 cup zucchini, chopped
Parmesan cheese, shredded for garnish
1. Combine sausage, onion, carrots, and celery in skillet over med-high heat, and cook until meat is done.
2. Add sausage mixture, sweet potato, diced tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, and water to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
3. Cook on high for 4 hours.
4. During last 30 minutes, cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and add to slow cooker, along with zucchini.
5. Cook on high for 30 more minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
6. Serve hot with grated Parmesan on top.