I tried to find a molasses cookie recipe last winter that I liked an couldn't quite get there. I decided to combine a few ideas and came up with this recipe. Dark brown sugar to enhance the molasses, and butter for even more flavor. They turned out so great!
Chewy Molasses Cookies
4 1/2 cups flour
3 tsps baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsps cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup sugar for dough balls
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
3. In mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until well blended. Add eggs and molasses and beat until combined.
4. Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture until combined.
5. Pour 1/3 cup of sugar into a small bowl. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and then roll balls in sugar.
6. Bake on cookie sheets for 10-12 minutes, until they start to crack on top. Do not overbake or they won't be chewy. Let cool for 2 minutes on pan then transfer to wire rack.
*I like to roll all the dough into balls and then keep extra unbaked balls in the freezer until needed. Then when baking, just add 2 extra minutes to the bake time.