I made this breakfast casserole last night to go along with blueberry pancakes. I wanted to find an all encompassing side dish minus the bread, and this one did the trick. I prepared it ahead of time and stuck it in the fridge. I usually have full stove top with pancakes, eggs, and bacon going at the same time, so it was nice to be working on just one thing while the casserole baked. It got outstanding reviews from my family and the missionaries from our church that were eating dinner with us. My husband even ate some of the leftovers for lunch today and was still raving about it.
Sausage & Hash Brown Breakfast Casseroleadapted from Southern Living
1 (32-ounce) package frozen hash brown cubes
1 lb. mild ground pork sausage
1 lb. hot ground pork sausage
1 1/2 tsps salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1. Prepare hash browns according to package directions, using 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
2. Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
3. Stir together hash browns, sausage, and 1 cup of cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13in baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
4. Whisk together eggs, milk, and remaining 1 tsp salt. Pour evenly over potato mixture.
5. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 10 servings