CSS

Monday, January 2, 2012

Sausage Cheese Muffins

This is a recipe my mom has been making for many years. She used to double the recipe and freeze them for a quick "on the go" breakfast. I made them recently to eat for breakfast in the car, on our 16 hour drive to Wyoming. I like that they are filling, and even my 13 month old eats them!

Sausage Cheese Muffins
mom
1/2 lb. ground pork sausage (I like Jimmy Dean hot sausage)
2 cups flour
2 TBSPs sugar
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp soda
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 green onion, chopped (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Brown sausage, drain and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the center.
4. In a separate bowl combine milk, eggs, and butter. Add to dry ingredients stirring just until moistened. Stir in sausage, cheese, and onion.
5. Fill cups 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan immediately.

Makes 12 regular sized muffins. Store in refrigerator. Freezes well.

I also like to make these as mini muffins. This recipe makes about 30 mini muffins. I bake them for about 12 minutes.





No comments: