CSS

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Broccoli, Chicken, and Rice Casserole

It's hard to believe I've been posting recipes for 2 years now! I've pretty much posted all of my family's regular faves (with the exception of this one). From here on out my posting frequency is going to drop, but when I happen upon a new fabulous food, I'll definitely be giving it a spot here. 

This is my second favorite casserole and like my very favorite, it also comes from my mother in law. I've made a couple of minor changes, one being the addition of onion powder. I like that it's very basic, but you could add chopped onion, or substitute a cream of something soup for the white sauce, for more flavor.

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Colleen Larson
1 bunch broccoli (about 2 cups)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup rice
2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
2 1/2 cups milk
3 TBSPs butter
3 TBSPs flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c shredded cheese

1. Wash, trim, and steam broccoli; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil; simmer 20 minutes.
3. In a large bowl combine steamed broccoli, cooked rice, and chicken; mix well.
4. In another medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly add milk to butter mixture. Stir with whisk until bubbly and thick. Pour over rice mixture in large bowl and stir to combine.
5. Spread in 2-3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 6-8

6 comments:

ChelseaSalomone said...

Noo don't go away!!! Just find new recipes, ha! This is one of our family favorites also!

Christine said...

Chelsea - Hahaha! I won't go away. I like to try new recipes, but my family doesn't always like testing new things. They'd rather have the stuff they know and love, and we've had our fair share of failures. Desserts on the other hand always taste good, so I might be posting more of those. :) Hope you and the baby are doing well!

Susan Campbell said...

I made this tonight, and it was so great! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Christine said...

Thanks for the feedback! So glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

This recipe is one of my family's favorites. We pretty much have it every week!

Unknown said...

Making this now! Thanks!