I'm always excited to make this cake once it starts feeling like fall. Pumpkin with a creamy filling, and ganache on top. It's a very impressive looking cake, but it's actually pretty easy. I made this for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, so we would have an option other than pie, and I've loved it ever since. I tweaked the original recipe a little, adding more filling and more chocolate icing. :) This cake is not tall, so if your cake layers seem a little flat...it's normal.
Pumpkin Sandwich Cake
adapted from bhg.com
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup whipping cream
8-oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour 2-8in. round cake pans. In bowl combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In a second bowl beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in pumpkin. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Spread cake batter in prepared pans. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove and cool thoroughly.
3. For filling, in a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream to soft peaks; set aside. In a second mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth; beat in powdered sugar. Fold in whipped cream. To assemble, place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over bottom cake layer. Top with second cake layer. Refrigerate while preparing ganache.
4. If ganache is too thin, cover and chill 30 minutes until of spreading consistency. Too thick, add a teaspoon of milk or cream. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle lightly with pumpkin pie spice, if desired. Chill cake at least 1 hour before serving.
5. To make ganache, in small saucepan bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Pour over chocolate pieces in medium bowl (do not stir). Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool 15 minutes. 6. Store cake, loosely covered, in refrigerator. Makes 8 servings.