CSS

Friday, June 17, 2011

Cinnamon Caramel Corn with Pecans and White Chocolate

Tonight was a movie night and I wanted to make some special popcorn. My Grandma had suggested I try this popcorn from ourbestbites.com. It's basically like my caramel popcorn here, but with a few changes (see my note below). The original recipe calls for pecans, but I used dry roasted peanuts, because my kids like them better, but you could really use any kind of nuts. It turned out really good and was a special treat! 

Cinnamon Caramel Corn with Nuts and White Chocolate
ourbestbites.com
12 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 C kernels)
1 cup pecan halves, roughly chopped (I used dry roasted peanuts)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 t cinnamon
1/4 cup karo syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda

3 squares almond bark (about 4 oz)

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Place popcorn and chopped pecans in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a 2 liter capacity microwave safe bowl. Mix well. Chop butter into chunks and place on top of sugar mixture. Pour corn syrup over the top of everything. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and then stir to combine. Return to microwave and heat for 2 minutes. Remove and stir and then microwave for 2 minutes more.
4. Remove from microwave and add in vanilla and baking soda. Stir to combine. Mixture will foam and rise. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and pecans and stir very well so everything is well coated.
5. Spread popcorn mixture onto a foil-lined jelly roll pan. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and spread out on a large piece of parchment, waxed paper, or foil. Melt almond bark according to package instructions. Drizzle over popcorn mixture.

Note: I doubled this recipe and used 3-3.3oz bags natural microwave popcorn, no air popper here ;). I cooked the sugar mixture in the microwave, adding 3 extra minutes because I had doubled the recipe. The caramel didn't turn out quite smooth as I had expected. Next time I make this I will follow my caramel popcorn recipe, cooking the sugar mixture over the stovetop, and baking the popcorn longer, and just add the cinnamon, nuts, and chocolate.

2 comments:

Lynnie said...

I'm going to make this for my kids this weekend. I know I can trust you...because have the BeSt recipes!

Dave and Kerilynn Cindrich said...

I actually bought this to give as a Christmas present from Target! Good to know you have a homemade version.