CSS

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Caramel Popcorn

I love this caramel popcorn! It's crisp and not sticky. Makes a great snack! For the recipe you want to use plain or natural popcorn. I used Orville Rebenbacher's Tender White (which has a little butter and salt) because it's the closest I could find to natural at my store.

Caramel Popcorn
adapted from allrecipes.com
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-3.3oz bags natural microwave popcorn, popped

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
3. Place in two large shallow baking dishes or cookie sheets with a lip, and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks! The cupful is shoveled in my mouth on the drive home last night was not enough.

Becky said...

Hey cousin! Thanks for having a recipe blog- so convenient for me. We needed a caramel popcorn recipe for Amy's bday party, so I pulled this up for her and she made it while I sat on my behind upstairs. I love having a daughter who cooks and a cousin with a great blog with clear instructions. Yum!

Christine said...

Hi! You are welcome! I wish my Aimee would cook! Maybe we should trade sometime. ;)