CSS

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Homemade Rice-A-Roni

Have you ever made your own Rice-A-Roni? It's really simple and yummy. I like to make it sometimes instead of just plain old rice. What in the world does Roni mean anyway? Macaroni? Maybe I should call this Rice-A-Ghetti. :)

Homemade Rice-A-Roni
adapted from tasteofhome.com
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
1/2 cup spaghetti, broken into 1/2" - 1" pieces
3 cups chicken broth (you can substitute water and boullion)
1 TBSP dried minced onion
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a skillet, add uncooked rice and pasta pieces and stir about 5 minutes until pasta is lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Do not lift lid. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, cover and let steam an additional 5-10 minutes.

Serves 6

1 comment:

Becky said...

I have made homemade rice a roni and I love it! I'll have to try your version and compare it to the one I've been using. It looks super yummy!