CSS

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spinach Salad with Strawberries

This is one of my favorite salads! I had it for the first time last Easter when my friend Chanda made it, and I had to have it again this Easter. After getting the recipe from her, I found that I already had it in my Lion House Entertaining cook book.
Spinach Salad with Strawberries
Dressing
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
3 TBSP sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Salad
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup cashew pieces
15 wontons, cut into thin strips
1 large head red leaf lettuce (or any other kind), washed and broken into pieces
1 pkg fresh spinach, with stems trimmed
1/3 cup bacon pieces, cooked and well drained
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1 purple onion, sliced or chopped
1 cup strawberries, sliced

To make dressing, mix together vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard, salt, and strawberry jam. Mix until all ingredients are well blended. Set aside.

Heat a medium frying pan and add the sugar and nuts. Stir constantly over medium heat until nuts are coated and slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.

Fry wontons in hot cooking oil and drain on paper towels.

When ready to serve salad, put lettuce, spinach, bacon, red pepper, onion, and strawberries into a large bowl and toss. Add salad dressing and toss. Add sugared nuts and wontons last. Makes 10 servings.

Variation: Use fresh raspberries and raspberry jam instead of strawberries and strawberry jam. Substitute almonds for cashews. When fresh berries aren't available substitute dried cranberries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously the BEST salad you will ever taste!! It's like candy. I hate onions, so I substitute those with celery. EVERYONE MUST TRY THIS RECIPE. :)

Kristy said...

I love this salad!

irbuanosraL said...

mmm this IS good. I remember Rochelle made this once, I loved it.

Healthytips said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about spinach with strawberry. Please keep sharing.
Health Is A Life