CSS

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Pizza Rolls

I've tried a few different ways to make pizza rolls. I even have another recipe on my blog, but this is my new favorite. You make them just like cinnamon rolls. The dough is rolled out into a big rectangle, then you layer with sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. I use a homemade pizza dough recipe you can find here. I like to add a little ranch and crushed red pepper flakes to the top of mine when eating, kinda like frosting. :) My kids like to take them to school in their lunches too.

Pizza Rolls
2 lbs pizza dough (I use this recipe here)
1 cup pizza or marinara sauce
1 6oz pkg of pepperoni slices
2 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella or preferred cheese, divided
2 TBSPs melted butter
Garlic salt and Italian seasoning (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Lightly flour work surface and roll pizza dough into rectangle about 20in x 14in. Spread pizza sauce on the dough all the way to the edges. Place pepperoni slices on the sauce in a single layer. Fit as many on there as you want. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese over the pepperoni.
3. Starting from the long end, roll up dough like cinnamon roll dough. I start I one side and roll it just a little then switch to the other side and roll it up to match the other side. Then once I have a good log I can roll it all together at once. If pepperoni or cheese slips out just tuck it back in. It might look messy, but will still taste good! Using a sharp serrated knife, slice into 1 1/2 in discs. You should have about 14 rolls. Place on prepared baking sheet, slice side up. Again you can tuck in some cheese or pepperonis here if they have fallen out.
4. Brush tops with melted butter, then season lightly with garlic salt and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, if desired. Sprinkle the last 1/2 cup of cheese of the rolls.
5. Place in oven and bake 22-27 minutes. Rolls are done when crust is lightly browned and cheese and sauce are bubbly.









 Topped with a drizzle of ranch and sprinkled with crushed red pepper flakes.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried other meats like ham or salami. Would mushrooms or peppers work?