I LOVE scones and these are amazing! They are fluffy and not dry, like a yummy biscuit, and not too sweet. I used blueberries because I currently have an abundance, but you could add any fresh or frozen fruit . Even without the addition fruit these are great, especially if you're lucky enough to have a little clotted cream on hand.
adapted from sixsisterstuff.com
2 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
3 TBSPs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBSPs cold butter, cut into TBSP sized pieces
1 cup heavy cream plus 1 TBSP
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 TBSP milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine.
3. With a fork or pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until each piece is coated and the size of small peas.
4. Pour 1 cup heavy cream over mixture and stir gently with rubber spatula just until dough begins to form. Do not over mix.
5. Fold in blueberries.
6. Over lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times until you can form a ball. Flatten out dough into 8 inch circle.
7. Transfer circle to baking sheet and cut into 8 triangles.
8. Brush the top of each scone with remaining 1 TBSP of cream.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until scones begin turning golden brown around the edges.
10. While scones are baking, mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla OR lemon juice in a small bowl. After scones have been removed from oven, drizzle glaze over the top. Serve warm.
****See pic at bottom for mini scone directions.
This is a double batch made into mini scones. I rolled the dough into a rectangle, cut 2 long evenly sized strips, then cut the strips diagonally to make little triangles. You could also just pat the dough into 3 circles and cut them like that. I baked them for 15 min.