CSS

Monday, July 21, 2014

Apple Butter Grilled Cheese

Yep, I spread apple butter on my grilled cheese sandwich, and it was good. I was looking for a sandwich idea for dinner, and found a couple different GC with apple butter and we gave it a try. It's very sweet, but the arugula balances it out. I found that my children don't have quite a refined enough palate for arugula (defined as a spicy and bold green), so if you're not up for that, you could use baby spinach. :) I used deli turkey, cheddar, and sliced Granny Smith apples (the tartness is also good contrast). It's quite a different tasting sandwich, but I really loved it.

Apple Butter Grilled Cheese
 ¼ cup arugula
Dash of apple cider vinegar
2 slices bread
Apple butter
Thinly sliced Granny Smith apple
Sliced deli turkey lunchmeat
Sliced cheddar cheese
1 TBSP butter or margarine for grilling

1. Preheat skillet or panini press to medium heat. (I used my George Forman Grill)
2. In a small bowl, toss arugula with a dash of apple cider vinegar.
3. Spread apple butter on one side of each piece of bread. Top an apple butter side of bread with arugula, apple slices, followed by cheese, then turkey. Place the other piece of bread on top, apple butter side down and press. Spread butter on outside of bread slices.
4. Cook in the pan for 2 minutes on each side, or until browned and cheese is melted.

Makes 1 sandwich

No comments: