CSS

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Creamy Brussels Sprouts

Thanksgiving is not extraordinary without a fresh vegetable. We have this weird family joke about my Dad not allowing us to talk about Brussels sprouts at the dinner table, so last year I made this and took it to my parents house for Thanksgiving. Most everyone tried it, and those who did liked it. If you like cabbage, then give these a whirl. Of course, the bacon and cream make it all the more flavorful!

Creamy Brussels Sprouts
bhg.com
4 slices peppered bacon (you can use regular bacon, just add a little more pepper)
2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved through stem end
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup whipping cream
Cracked Black Pepper

1. In 12-inch skillet cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.

2. In skillet add Brussels sprouts to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 4 minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; cook 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Add cream. Cook 4 minutes more or until thickened.

3. Transfer sprouts to serving dish. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and cracked pepper. Serves 8.

5 comments:

Lynnie said...

This looks way better than the boild crappy ones my mom used to make!

Lynnie said...

boiled

Lindsay said...

You lost me at brussel sprout.

Jordan said...

I love roasted brussel sprouts! I can't wait to try this.

Irene said...

Oh this sounds great. I can't wait to try it. Pinned it so I won't lose it.