I'd never made my own ice cream sandwiches, and got the idea from my friend Erica. There are so many possibilities with this! I made chocolate cookies using a cake mix because I wanted them to be soft. I did a few with vanilla ice cream and a few with mint chocolate chip. They turned out so yummy!
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
Sprinkles or mini chocolate chips (optional)
Cake Mix Cookies
1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, butter and eggs until smooth and well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. To build the ice cream sandwiches, soften ice cream at room temperature for 15 minutes and line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper and set aside.
2. Using a small, tablespoon-sized ice cream scoop, place 3 to 4 scoops of ice cream on the bottom side of one cookie. Working quickly, top with a second cookie and press lightly to push the ice cream to the edges of the cookie. Use a small spatula to smooth the ice cream around the edges of the sandwich. If using sprinkles, place sprinkles in a shallow container and roll the edges of the ice cream in the sprinkles, pressing lightly to coat.
3. Place ice cream sandwiches on the prepared tray and freeze immediately, until firm, about 2 hours.