adapted from loveandcupcakesblog.com
2/3 cup sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (room temp)
2 large eggs (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temp
1 TBSP poppy seeds
1 cup powdered sugar whisked together with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Lightly spray the liners with non stick cooking spray (these muffins will stick a bit if you don't).
2. In a large bowl, rub the granulated sugar with the lemon zest until the sugar is lightly colored and scented with lemon.
3. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, melted butter and lemon juice.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together. When almost thoroughly mixed, add the poppy seeds.
6. Divide batter between muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
Makes about 15 muffins
Note: The glaze does not freeze or refrigerate well so glaze just before serving.